This is a research blog for the persona(s) I am working on since I joined the SCA a few months ago, along with any other useful info as a begin my exporation into the SCA and the things I want to learn and experience there. As an Eastern Band Cherokee woman I have decided my main persona will be Native as well so I am very excited to work on that, but as a prop artisan and someone who loves learning new things there is so much cool stuff ahead I can hardly wait to learn it all.


Monday, December 29, 2014

Food Storage (for Camping Events) #2 - Period Pickled Eggs

Well I made 2 batches of chicken in the crockpot that were cooked so nicely they literally fell off the bone (yum!), and then used some apple vinegar to boil down the bones and skin to make stock. The stock is now cooling in the fridge so that the fat separates for removal before it is dehydrated. Once I dehydrate the batch, I'll post an update on that. if it works all have a great method to make chicken stock powder to take with me to camping events.

I began doing some research on medieval forms of preserving food since I'd like to have meals I didn't have to have a cooler and ice for that would last several days safely. Information on pickling popped up in knowing how much my family likes eggs, I figure that would be a place to start. Right now I'm just gathering notes on what I need since it'll be a couple days before I can actually do the pickling. It seems simple enough.

6 to 10 eggs, boiled and peeled (depending on the size of the jar)
1/4 tea. salt, cinnamon, coriander (the recipe calls for these spices, but the person doing it uses cumin instead of coriander. Knowing how well the 2 good together, I am thinking I should 1/8 teaspoon of cumin as well and see what happens)
glass jar ( I have a huge one that might work for this, might even fit his much as10 eggs, or I might just make a smaller batch and experiment with my half-gallon jar)

vinegar to cover (thinking to use apple vinegar for this)

I just have to boil the eggs, cooling them down enough to peel them. Then I roll the eggs into the spices (mixed up) and place them in the jar. I think just for the heck of it I might add some garlic and onions to the mix. Then I cover it all up with vinegar and put the lid on tight. The original website didn't say how long to let the eggs sit, but most the other places I saw said 2 weeks at least in the fridge before eating.

Easy Peeled Hard Boiled Eggs




No comments:

Post a Comment