This is a research blog for the persona(s) I am working on since I joined the SCA a few months ago, along with any other useful info as a begin my exporation into the SCA and the things I want to learn and experience there. As an Eastern Band Cherokee woman I have decided my main persona will be Native as well so I am very excited to work on that, but as a prop artisan and someone who loves learning new things there is so much cool stuff ahead I can hardly wait to learn it all.


Sunday, July 6, 2014

Armored Combat

Okay been a crazy week getting ready to go to my writers conference so not had much time to post. Spent the week penciling my first scrolls for scroll blanks for the barony. I did manage to make it to my first fighter practice today. Didn't do much fighting but did talk a lot about armor options for me and my son. I also was advised to read over the Northshield armored combat rules and I have been looking over sites with advice for women SCA fighter in particular. I know because I am small in stature with a short torso and a large chest I'm going to be hard to fit as far as my armor kit goes. I found a couple good site with advice and been going over them.

One good bit of advice was from House Lioness who says "A quick note on shields: if you have a medium to large chest, you may want to use a shield that has a curve around your body, rather than a flat shield. A curved shield can be held closer to your body and gives better coverage and protection. Trash can lids and toboggans are available with a curve (a slight dome-like curve)."

I have also been thinking of armor. I think I want to go to a hardened leather rather than lots of steel. Lighter and moves better with the curves of my body. This site has good instructions how to make that. I like the lamellar armor like Sir Valora is wearing in these pictures.



The fit and the style is just what I want (with added flair to better match my Native persona). Hamish (an awesomely helpful new friend from our local SCA group) showed me some boar hide today that would be amazing if we can use it to make armor like that. Crossing my fingers it can work. Not sure where to find it, just would be nice to use an animal hide my people actually hunted and that might work for armor.

No comments:

Post a Comment